DONA MENCIA lies clean white, surrounded by olive groves and vineyards, in a sheltered spot protected by hills of 1000 m. Various cultures have left its mark on the surrounding area and in the Roman period the town was called FAVENCIA.
It was converted during the Reconquest into a country estate by Don Alvaro Perez de Castro, the town taking on the name DONA MENCIA when he married Dona Mencia Lopez de Haro. Wander the narrow streets around the ancient Arab quarter leading to the castle and the church, declared as Artistic-Historic buildings, but now only the Torre del Homenaje and part of the walls remain.
Continue up to CALVARIO, a hermitage where Christo de la Caridad is venerated, and a nearby viewpoint of a natural balcony where you can see for miles the lovely countryside.
Climb to the hill Oreja de Mula where the remains of the Roman road, OBULCO-IPAGRO used to pass at the foot. A gigantic enclosure was built at the top and served as a watchtower and lookout post.
DONA MENCIA has cellars famous for the quality of its wines, which can be tasted along with the salmorejo, patatas en abobillo and other typical dishes.